The Magic Keyboard works flawlessly if connected with the provided USB cable to the computer. It is a great backup in case there are any Bluetooth issues.
If a Magic Keyboard is connected to an external USB Hub which is connected via a Thunderbolt USB-C connection to the computer (i.e. a Thunderbolt docking station via USB-C plug):
Trackpad ⎯⎯⎯ USB cable ⎯⎯⎯ USB Hub ⎯⎯⎯ Thunderbolt USB-C cable ⎯⎯⎯ Computer
In some cases the Magic Keyboard might not work correctly, for example:
- After a computer restart.the Magic Keyboard isn't recognised.
- The Magic Keyboard connects for a short time and works, then disconnects again.
To fix this either:
- Turn off the Magic Keyboard before Windows starts.
Once Windows has been started, turn the on and it should work fine.
- Connect the directly with the computer's USB port, this should always work.
- Update to version 220.127.116.11 or higher and select Driver > Reinstall device driver.
Microsoft Support-Document 4532436
Microsoft has finally confirmed there is a general Windows 10 Thunderbolt issue causing some of these problems, more details here.