Note: For Bluetooth pairing no additional software is required, it is fully handled by Windows.
Again: There is no need to install the Magic Utilities to pair your device.
- The Magic Keyboards (small and large) can be connected with Bluetooth or USB cable.
- To use your Apple Wireless Keyboard you have to connect/pair it as a Bluetooth device.
Prepare for pairing
In case you have constant issues, follow this comprehensive guide.
- If your keyboard was already paired with another computer make sure this computer is turned off or you have removed the keyboard from this computer.
- If you have any trouble while pairing, disable any Bluetooth radios nearby (i.e. mobile phone, speakers, other computers, ...)
Bring the keyboard in pairing mode
Magic Keyboards (with Lightning plug to recharge)
- Make sure your Magic Keyboard is charged.
A new Magic Keyboard is already charged by Apple. Charging it for 5-10 minutes should be enough.
- Turn your Magic Keyboard (off and) on at the right back side of the keyboard.
Apple Wireless Keyboard (with 2x or 3x AA batteries)
- Make sure you have a set of charged AA batteries inserted at the side of your keyboard.
- Turn your keyboard on by holding the Power button and wait until the little green light above the power switch is blinking.
(Sometimes you need to release the power button and press and hold it again.)
Pair your keyboard
- On Windows right click on your Bluetooth icon in the taskbar and choose Add a Bluetooth device.
If you can't see the Bluetooth icon it might be hidden. Click on the little up arrow on the right side of the taskbar.If there is still no Bluetooth icon it might be removed from the taskbar icons. Search Windows for Bluetooth settings or Add a device or refer to your Windows Help System on how to add a device.
- Select your keyboard from the devices listed, it can take a little while until the keyboard appears.
- You just need to confirm a passcode by clicking Yes or Connect
(In case a numeric code is requested to enter, just enter that code and press return.)
Apple Wireless Keyboard
If a numeric code is requested either:
- Enter a given numeric code on the bluetooth keyboard and press return.
- Enter 1234 on the existing main keyboard and click Allow (or press Enter), now enter 1234 on the Apple Wireless Keyboard and press return.
Once the keyboard is paired it should work as a generic keyboard. However on the small keyboards some keys are missing, especially the Ins, Del, Home, End, Page Up and Page Down keys.
If you can type standard characters it's time to install the Magic Utilities.
Note: If pairing doesn't work in the first place, installing the Magic Utilities does not help either.